Disappearing text in PDF: a weird issue

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 19 02:04:49 PDT 2012

A [remote] colleague has a problem in FrameMaker 10 that I cannot replicate when she saves the file to MIF and I try it in FrameMaker 7 (and without her fonts). (I am still stuck in FrameMaker 7 on Mac, but not for much longer.)

In brief, she has a series of three-cell tables that have tinted backgrounds. Each table sits under a level 1, 2, 3 or 4 heading with its anchor at the start of the heading para and contains a warning graphic, warning/caution text created using an autonumber field, and a free-text warning message. The warning message uses the CellBody para tag whose color is set to black. The para tag definition for CellBody looks as it should, as does the table definition.

When I create a PDF from a MIF test file using TimesNewRoman, everything works ok. When she creates a PDF from FrameMaker 10, using some corporate font for CellBody (GE Inspira), the text of CellBody takes on the shading color of the table cell and disappears, but only (and this is where is gets really weird) in the case of the table anchored under the level 2 heading.

As I cannot replicate the problem, there's not a lot I can do to diagnose it. If anyone can think of a possible reason for this happening, I'd/she'd appreciate some leads as she's stuck. Thoughts that occur to me are:

. Something about her font is weird

. It's actually a Distiller problem of some sort.

...but if it could be anything to do with FrameMaker, I'd really like to fox it out.

Thanks for reading this.

--
Steve