How to prepare Frame files for English to Korean translation

Yvonne Mills Yvonne.Mills at jdsu.com
Thu Jun 21 06:35:00 PDT 2012

Hi Kelly,

Having done a few translation projects in the past, I've found a few tips to make the process a little smoother. There are probably other folks on the list that do translations on a regular basis and may have more info to offer.

Assuming you are using a translation agency, you don't have to do anything with the FrameMaker files. They are familiar with FrameMaker, so the only thing you have to do is send them the native FrameMaker files, including the graphics (and tell them which version of FrameMaker you are using).

The major things I have found that make both your and the translator's life easier:

- Make sure your graphics directory only contains the graphics for that book (don't include old graphics or any related graphic/document that is not used in the book).

- You may have to provide localized (Korean, in this case) screen shots. The graphics people at the agency can update diagrams and drawings (for a fee), but if they don't have access to the product to grab the screen shots, you may be asked to provide them.

- Provide a Glossary. You mentioned Product names and Role names will not be translated. This is something to include in the glossary. Have a section that defines what to leave in English and then provide another section that defines acronyms (and specify whether translate them) and other terms they may need - for instance when you use the word FRAME make sure you tell them what that means: a packet of data, a window display, or something you put a picture in.

- If your company has done translations before with a different vendor, make sure they have the translation memory from the previous translation.

Those are the major ones. There may be other small things that I missed.
Hope that helps.

Yvonne Mills  ▪  Technical Writer 2   ▪  JDSU-ComTest  ▪  +1-540-378-1398
221 S Yorkshire St. Salem, VA  24153  USA