FrameMaker 10: Condition tag - background color in table rows

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Mon Mar 5 08:39:01 PST 2012

Steve,

You wrote: [long ago, but I did not see any on-list responses]

>As per the Adobe FM10 help, I can apply a condition tag to a whole row
>in a table. However, as I have Style and Color set to ‘As Is’ and
>Background set to a color, I’d expect to see either the text in the
>cells or the background of the whole selected row appear in the
>particular color. No color at all is displayed for the text or row ­
>so it’s not obvious that a condition tag has been applied to that row.
>Is this just how it works, or is there a way of displaying the
>allocated background color when a condition tag is applied to a table
>row?
>
>For info, the condition tags’ background color works OK for main body text.

Similar experience here, when the color is set "As Is" and a background
color is specified: either no color at all for the conditional table row,
or a generic *grey* criss-cross pattern around inside cell borders
(independently of the color selected for the background). Conditional tags
applied to text inside the cell do show as expected.

Another general problem related to using background color for conditions,
regardless of the color setting and tables, is that the marker text symbol
inside the conditional area disappears altogether when it is at the left
margin (not just truncated as is normal). This means that even with View >
Text Symbols, you can easily delete markers without knowing or without
being notified.

Even when not at the left margin, the marker and other text symbols display
incorrectly when a background color is applied (Tab symbol disappears
entirely; marker/anchor/non-breaking space display partially).

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker/TCS training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants

Free 1-hour webinars, March 6:
* Integrating Rich Media into your PDFs Authored with FrameMaker (10am PT)
* The Power of PDF Search (Acrobat/Reader)  (11:30am PT)