FM10/Acrobat X hypertext link problems

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Thu Mar 22 03:29:30 PDT 2012

Maggie,

You wrote:

>I just upgraded FM7 to FM10 (10.0.2.419 version), and Acrobat 6 to Acrobat
>X, and found that the hypertext links (which worked well in Acrobat6)
>within the same book are broken in Acrobat X. However, the cross-book
>hyperlinks work well in Acrobat6 and Acrobat X.
>
>I have 3 book files which contains cross-book hyperlinks and hypertext
>links within the same book. The book structure is as follows:
>
>../book1/A.book
>../book1/chapter1.fm
>../book1/chapter2.fm
>../book1/chapter3.fm
>
>../book2/B.book
>../book2/chapter1.fm
>../book2/chapter2.fm
>
>../book3/C.book
>../book3/chapter1.fm
>../book3/chapter2.fm
>../book3/chapter3.fm
>
>All hyperlinks are linked with hypertext markers (newlink and gotolink in
>'Special -> Hypertext').
>
>The cross-book hyperlink works fine. My story is:
>book1 has cross-book hyperlinks to book2 and book3. To add a hyperlink
>from "book1's chapter1" to "book2's marker1", I add 'gotolink
>../book2/chapter2.fm:marker1' in file ../book1/chapter1.fm.
>When converting these 3 books to pdf files, I'll open all the book files,
>and print book to ps file one by one. After that, I'll use Acrobat
>Distiller (Acrobat X) to generate pdf files.
>The cross-book hyperlink 'gotolink ../book2/chapter2.fm:marker1' will be
>converted, the target filename will be 'book2.pdf', and the destination
>name will be 'M8.8.newlink.marker1'.
>
>The hypertext link within the same book is broken. Here is the story:
>In book1, I want to add a hyperlink from chapter3 to chapter 1, so I
>insert the hypertext marker 'gotolink chapter1.fm:marker2' in file
>chapter3.fm. After conversion, the target filename becomes 'chapter1.pdf'
>(it should be 'book1.pdf'), and the destination name becomes
>'M5.8.newlink.marker2' (it should be 'M8.newlink.marker2').
>
>Am I missing something for the hyperlink above? Any thoughts?

Overall, the procedure you describe seems correct.

Two comments:

1. If the required end result is three PDFs residing in the same folder,
your FM book files have to also reside in the same folder (otherwise the
links from one pdf to another will reflect the FM book path).
[As you use TimeSavers, you can simply turn on the "Cross-file links:
Remove Path" option in Links/General].

2. Links from one location in the PDF to another location in the same PDF
are internal links and when it comes to the final PDF, should not have a
file name in the link information (neither chapter.pdf nor book.pdf);
otherwise, renaming the standalone PDF will instantly make such links invalid.
In similar cases I saw, upon restarting FM and recreating the PS/PDF
(without changing anything else), internal links were correctly written
(without the chapter/book filename).

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker/TCS training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants