best use of graphics in FM

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Thu Mar 22 03:49:03 PDT 2012

Ken,

You wrote:

>First, I very much appreciate the various on-list and off-list replies.
>I'll try a few things myself this evening after getting home (61 miles
>each way) regarding the graphics to see what I can do as a speed test.
>
>Second, I just did some minor edits to a series of FM files created by my
>coworker and tried to create a pdf of the book. And yep, a big glitch
>occurred right near the beginning during distilling. Here's the text from
>the log file created by distiller:
>
>%%[ ProductName: Distiller ]%%
>%%[Page: 1]%%
>%%[Page: 2]%%
>%%[ Error: typecheck; OffendingCommand: pdfmark; ErrorInfo: StOBJ
>--nostringval-- ]%%
>
>Stack:
>/StOBJ
>{/StOBJ}
>/Obj
>-dict-
>

>%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
>%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%
>
>*****************
>
>Notice that distiller gave up the ghost at or after page 2 of the file
>during the book printing which should have resulted in a 254-page manual.
>I've done a visual check of pages 2 and 3 (the copyright page would be pdf
>page 2 and page 1 of the comprehensive TOC would be pdf page 3) and either
>there's nothing obviously wrong or I'm blind.
>
>Could someone explain the cryptography from the log file, specifically
>line 4 (Error: typecheck . . .) and what follows it?

The Distiller error is related to having Tagged PDF turned on in FrameMaker.

Turn off "Generate Tagged PDF" (Format > Document > PDF Setup, Tags tab, of
from within your Save as PDF / Print dialog box), then try converting to
PDF again.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker/TCS training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants