best use of graphics in FM

Ken Poshedly poshedly at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 22 08:40:07 PDT 2012

First, thanks to all who have written to me both on-list and off-list. It’s
certainly good to have a support group of those likewise addicted to this
software. (Maybe at an FM conference we can go around the room for introductions
like at an AA meeting, “I’m Ken and I’m a FrameMaker user.”)

Second, I’m still checking possible solutions to see if I cold convince my
coworker to add graphics to FM docs correctly, but it seems like a lost cause
because he simply doesn’t see the need to do anything other than copy and paste.
For new images, he simply opens the folder with photos taken of a new machine,
copies a photo and directly pastes it into an anchored frame in his FM document.

He’s asked me to come up with a better way, but I already know that to him, only
speed counts, and he takes literally no longer than 20 seconds or so to do it
his way:
	* Have pdf document open and anchored frame in FM document already in place.
	* Screen-shot the art (using PrintScreen32 which allows cropping before doing
the capture).
	* Paste it into anchored frame and size it as-needed.
My clumsy, more complicated, admittedly longer but correct method (using an
existing pdf file with required images) is to:

	* Have pdf document open and anchored frame in FM document already in place.
	* Extract single page with a required image from a multi-page pdf file.
	* Open the pdf page (or photo) in art software and crop away unneeded material
to leave only the image.
	* Assign an art control number (from our existing acn excel file).
	* Save the cropped pdf in the existing art control number file folder.
	* Import the saved PDF image from the ACN folder into anchored frame in
FrameMaker and re-size it as-needed
	* Type the art control number inside a text box and place it inside the lower
right corner of the anchored frame.
Third, thanks to Shlomo Perets for his suggestion for me to uncheck the box for
“Generate Tagged PDF” as a fix to see if I could properly generate a pdf file on
Wednesday afternoon. It worked. (Specifically, I unchecked the box for “Generate
Acrobat Data”.)

-- Ken in Atlanta