best use of graphics in FM

Ken Poshedly poshedly at bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 25 08:51:19 PDT 2012

Well, as the final nail on the coffin on this matter (my FrameMaker-challenged
coworker hacking his way through to produce down-and-ridiculously-dirty files),
I've given up because following a conversation that got VERY heated and loud in
the office, it is now apparent that he thrives far more than I had thought,
loves an outright confrontation and will do only what he wants to do. (He almost
got into a physical fight with another guy a few months ago and bragged to me
that he won't take any s__t from anybody.) He's in his mid-50s, is fiercely
independent, long-divorced and would rather be terminated and find a job
somewhere else than be forced to do things he doesn't like.

While we "work" well together, I mean that we do joke with each other and both
strive to complete our projects quickly, except that he hacks his way through
while I take perhaps a little longer (really not by much) doing it correctly,
as you here have confirmed. Otherwise, we are far more apart than I ever
thought. When I showed him how to complete a purchase request for printing
manuals, he found someone else to do it, saying it's not his job to do that. He
almost tried to order me to not do a file transfer to a local printer after the
printing order was confirmed, saying again that that task is for the "purchasing
department to do." I disagree and proceeded with my job.

He keeps throwing out that he was tech pubs manager at his previous (very large
and nationally known) company. Except that I can now tell that nobody
knowledgeable there really kept tabs on him, or else what he does here would not
have been allowed.

Even though we both now agree that the heat is now slightly off for us to rush
through projects, he refuses to even consider saving those images he has
screen-grabbed, so that if his FM file crashes we can speed up the rebuild
process. His reply was "Tough." I told him I had consulted with other tech
writers (you guys) and what the consensus was (save the image files before
referencing/embedding). He came back with he knows that "as a manager" and
having talked with other managers that all they care about is speed, get it
done, no matter what it takes. And he told me that I refuse to compromise.

And no, he doesn't subscribe to this (or any list) and is far less computer
literate than I thought.

That song by the Animals of the British music invasion days of the 1960s "We
gotta Get Out of This Place" was never so true. I gotta get outta here.

All future comments to me about this should now be off-list and I will respond
as such.

Sorry for the negativity, but it's just boiling over.

-- Ken, in hell