Automatic ligatures

Matanya Ophee matanyao at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 21:57:18 PDT 2012

On 26/03/2012 9:20 PM, Roger Shuttleworth wrote:
> Hi Matanya
>
> As others have said, FrameMaker on Windows does not do ligatures; that's
> because they are not included in the Windows character sets.

That is only partially true. Indeed the fi and fl ligatures are not part
of the main character set and not accessible with Alt-0xxx numeric
keyboard codes, but they do reside at the bottom end of most type 1 and
TT fonts with U-xxx accessible codes. Just open the font with Windows'
Character map to see this. The fact remains that both QuarkExpress and
InDesign found a way to access these characters. I see no reason why
FrameMaker cannot accomplish the same.

What both QuarkExpress and InDesign also are unable to do is access the
ff, ffi and ffl ligatures, since, indeed, these characters are only
found in Expert fonts. I could live with just fi and fl, if necessary.
Why, then, I do not migrate to these typographically superior programs?

because they are deficient on features that are important to me in the
production of scholarly books such as footnotes, indexes etc. There is a
Quark extension that can do this, but it cost about twice as much as the
program itself. So there, I am stuck with FM-8 and expert fonts.

> The only
> resource that I am aware of is at
> http://www.nbcs.rutgers.edu/~hedrick/typography/
> <http://www.nbcs.rutgers.edu/%7Ehedrick/typography/>
> If you go to the bottom of that article, there's mention of a plugin for
> ligatures, but it appears to be only for FM 6 or 7. Perhaps the author
> may be able to suggest other resources.

Thanks. I'll look into that.

Matanya Ophee
Editions Orphée Inc.,