Automatic ligatures

Matanya Ophee matanyao at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 03:10:17 PDT 2012

On 28/03/2012 5:05 AM, Fred Ridder wrote:
> Except that you do seem to need Unicode font support, which *does*
> require fairly recent OS and application versions. None of the first
> generation of Unicode implementations was without problems.

the unicode issue was an attempt to comply with 19th century orthography
of Cyrillic. Modern Russian fonts do not have all the characters that
were used in Russian texts in pre-revolutionary times, and when they do
have them, they are not accessible via the keyboard or via the
Alt-numeric codes. I did insert this one character (yat') into my FM8
document, and it looked great on the screen, but then appeared as a
blank space when printed to PDF, or to my HP 5000. Would this not occur
in FM10 and Windows 7?

in any case, I solved the issue by using the modern character instead,
and printed the book. So far, no one complained...:-) if, and when, I
will have to publish a book where access to unicode is a must, then I
will consider getting a new machine.

> And although there are a few things about Windows 7 that I still find
> annoying, I am overjoyed every day by the *much* faster start up (~30
> seconds to boot as opposed to 4-5 minutes under XP),

I got into the habit of booting up, then go have a  cup a coffee, and by
the time I was back, the XP was ready to roll.

> the absence of blue
> screen crashes

In all the years that I am running XP, this has never happened to me.

--

Matanya Ophee
Editions Orphée Inc.,
mailto:m.ophee at orphee.com