Running page header/footer spacin question

Wed May 9 07:15:46 PDT 2012

Ken Poshedly wrote:

> We here are considering modifying the page headers in our tech manuals
> to state the current topic level 1 headings as they progress through a
> chapter. Currently, the page headers are set up as follows:
> * The product name (as a variable) is placed towards the gutter.
> * The manual chapter title is keyed in and manually spaced (via the
> spacebar) at the page outer edge.
> Simple, elegant, but not what I think is most helpful to the customer.

Aaargh! No, it's neither simple nor elegant (especially not elegant) to position text on the page using the spacebar, as if you were working with a typewriter with broken tab stops.

Look up "Changing tab stops" in the online help. Or "tab stop" on Wikipedia. To have text end at the right edge of the text frame, you want a right tab stop at that point (actually, make it 0.001" to the left of the edge). And of course, a tab between your Running H/F 1 and Running H/F 2 (or whatever variable you're using).

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom