Running page header/footer spacin question

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Wed May 9 07:34:33 PDT 2012

On 08/05/2012 10:44 AM, Ken Poshedly wrote:

Currently, the page headers are set up as follows:

>   * The product name (as a variable) is placed towards the gutter.
>   * The manual chapter title is keyed in and manually spaced (via the
>     spacebar) at the page outer edge.
>
> Simple, elegant,

Yuk!

http://www.amazon.ca/The-Not-Typewriter-Robin-Williams/dp/0938151495
http://www.amazon.ca/Mac-Not-Typewriter-Robin-Williams/dp/0201782634/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336573485&sr=1-1

I second the suggestions of others, to use right-aligned tabs.  My own
running headers include a variable, ChapterShortTitle, that contains
either the full text of a short chapter title or some sensible
abbreviation of a long title, so that my [Heading1] or [Heading2]
variables have lots of room at the other end of the line.  Since you are
planning to put your product name variable where I have a
CahpterShortTitle, you may find you need to choose a shortened version
of the product name to accomplish the same roominess.

Best,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator