FM9: Cross refs lost when building a PDF

Terri Schultz tjs_badger at hotmail.com
Thu May 10 06:16:21 PDT 2012

Hello, everyone:

Unstructured FM 9, Windows 7, Acrobat 9 Pro. All updates are installed.

I have a document with many cross-references (x-ref). Most x-refs are to paragraphs (normally headings). I also use x-refs to cross ref markers (not paragraphs). Normally the x-refs to markers are used when I refer to a specific step in the procedure (repeat from step 4, or if x, go to step 4). None of my co-workers use cross-refs to markers, they all x-ref to paragraphs.

In FM, the x-refs to markers work. However, when I build a .PDF, the x-refs to markers don't work, but all the x-refs to paragraphs do work. We are not sure how long this has been happening; I check for broken x-refs in FM, before I build the PDF. I don't check every x-ref in the PDF. A co-worker duplicated the problem when he ran a test using both types of x-refs.

Short term, I will replace all x-refs to markers with x-refs to paragraphs. I'd like to know why this is failing, and if there is anything I can do to make it work. Creating x-refs to numbered procedure step paragraphs is very time-consuming; we have hundreds, if not thousands, of numbered steps, in the docs we work with.

Thank you for your help!

Terri