FM9: Cross refs lost when building a PDF

Thu May 10 08:21:40 PDT 2012

Terri Schultz wrote:

> I have a document with many cross-references (x-ref). Most x-refs are
> to paragraphs (normally headings). I also use x-refs to cross ref
> markers (not paragraphs). Normally the x-refs to markers are used when
> I refer to a specific step in the procedure (repeat from step 4, or if
> x, go to step 4). None of my co-workers use cross-refs to markers, they
> all x-ref to paragraphs.

All x-refs are to markers. In the Cross-Reference dialog, FM lets you select a paragraph as a convenience. When you do that, FM creates the Cross-Ref marker for you. If you work with text symbols displayed (and you should), you can see the Cross-Ref marker at the beginning of the paragraph to which you created the x-ref.

So the only difference is in the creation process -- in one case, you manually insert a Cross-Ref marker in a paragraph; in the other case, you identify the paragraph and FM inserts the Cross-Ref marker for you. The end result is functionally identical, so that's not the reason why some of the x-refs don't work in PDF.

Are you by chance using text insets for the numbered procedures?

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom