Resources to help a newbie create DITA documents in FrameMaker 10

Scott Prentice sp10 at leximation.com
Fri May 18 09:24:05 PDT 2012

Well .. technically, it's both. Many features in FM are implemented as
plugins. The DITA support in FM since FM8 has been delivered as FDK
client plugins, but it is included pre-installed with the default
installation. You're thinking of the "DITA Application Pack for FM7.2"
.. that was delivered as a separate plugin that you'd download and
install after FM was installed.

Anyone who has FM8, 9, or 10 should have the default DITA support
pre-installed. If you're not seeing the DITA menu, you have either
uninstalled it (check the maker.ini file to see if the ditafm and
ditafm_app lines are commented out) .. or perhaps you don't have the
structured interface enabled.

If you install DITA-FMx, you must "uninstall" the default DITA support
by commenting those lines in the maker.ini. DITA-FMx completely replaces
the default DITA support, and the two plugins cannot co-exist. If you're
not seeing a DITA (or DITA-FMx) menu, you may have installed DITA-FMx,
then uninstalled it and neglected to uncomment the default DITA plugins.

Cheers,

...scott