Resources to help a newbie create DITA documents in FrameMaker 10

Scott Prentice sp10 at leximation.com
Fri May 18 10:01:28 PDT 2012

Ah .. the OT plugin. Yes .. that's a "connector" plugin that allows you
to process your DITA content through the DITA Open Toolkit. Adobe
provided that for FM9, but hasn't made one for FM10 (they want you to
use RoboHelp instead). The FM9 version should work for FM10 (although it
was a bit tricky to set up).

I don't think that it's available any more, and I have a feeling that
you're not supposed to "redistribute" it without Adobe's permission
(can't say for sure though).

This is functionality that's built in to DITA-FMx, and I've considered
making it into a separate plugin for non-DITA-FMx users (although I'd
prefer that you use DITA-FMx  :)

To step back a bit .. the DITA-OT is a library of XSLT and Java code
that lets you create may types of output (HTML, CHM, Eclipse Help, Java
Help, PDF, etc.). Yes, it's free and can be used to create all sorts of
output from DITA, but it can be a fair amount of work to set up and make
things look the way you want. If you're using Frame for authoring DITA,
there's really no reason to use the OT for creating PDFs (it's way more
work and the results are far from stellar) .. however, it can be a good
option for online output *if* you're willing to do the coding to make
things work the way you want. It is likely to be easier to use RoboHelp
(or Flare) to create the online output, but then you're paying for a
proprietary tool. You decide where you want to spend the money.  :)

Cheers,

...scott