Resources to help a newbie create DITA documents in FrameMaker 10

Writer generic668 at yahoo.ca
Fri May 18 10:19:20 PDT 2012

Ah, the DITA Open Toolkit (or DITA OT) is a separate beast. It's a free, open source program that allows you to create output from your DITA content (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DITA_Open_Toolkit).

Determine what output you need to create. If you need to create PDFs only, you might want to do that through FM. You'll have the most control over the formatting of your PDFs, but it can take a fair amount of time to generate them. Here's an article that you might want to read (although it's a bit old): http://www.scriptorium.com/whitepapers/dita2pdf/index.html

Personally, I am too intimidated to use the DITA OT because I don't think I am smart enough. If you need to create other outputs, I find that WebWorks ePublisher handles DITA very nicely. You can even create PDFs with their PDF XSL FO output, but it's got a steep learning curve and certain limitations. If you want to contact me offline, I'd be happy to discuss my experience with ePublisher with you.

You can use other tools, too, but I don't have experience with them so I can't really tell you anything about them.

Nadine