Positioning Caption Under Run-in Figure

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Thu May 24 07:18:45 PDT 2012

At 08:48 -0500 24/5/12, Nancy Allison wrote:

>I therefore created a text frame inside the anchored frame and put the caption there, which works physically but breaks the hyperlinks to the cross-reference in the text "(See Figure X.") For the time being, I've deleted the x-refs, since they aren't really necessary in such an obvious page layout. (But one of my reviewers is absolutely going to say, "where's the 'See Figure X????' Be copnsistent! Consistency above all else!!")

I'm slightly baffled here, unless I've misunderstood you. If by hyperlinks you mean a cross-reference from the text to a figure caption within a text frame within an anchored frame (which will appear as a hyperlink in a PDF), then that's the way I've been doing figure captions for years. The type of anchored frame shouldn't make any difference.

If by 'it breaks the hyperlinks', you mean that the figure caption cross-references break when you *move* the captions into the text frames, then that should not happen: the existing cross-reference destination marker should move with the text.

Or perhaps you mean that the figure reference is itself in the text you moved into the text frame within the figure's anchored frame?

The figure caption should in a text frame which should have no flow tag. I am looking at one working here. However, if there is something about your setup I've not understood, maybe you could send a test file for me to look at?

--
Steve