Integrating table footnotes into chapter flow.

Alan Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Thu May 24 21:16:12 PDT 2012

Hi Dan,

I feel your pain, having been there, done that.

I figure the demand arises because there is a certain, single word processor that does it that way, albeit that this way is not correct.

Organising the footnote numbering sequence is not much of an issue. This is part of the numbering control at the book level (assuming you are using a book file). FM footnotes typically appear at the bottom of the page (it is normally demands for end notes that get people worked up).

The only effective work around I was able to muster was to use tab delimited text, but that meant no table rules. I made paragraph formats with appropriately positioned tabs. In the case I refer to, few entries wrapped and those that did were able to be positioned at the end of the line.

What you have described sounds the best option. At least in this instance, if the numbering changes, you can control it.

I would change things slightly:
1. By formatting the text you said would be white as red, until proofing stage. Create a paragraph format and call it TblFtntPara. I would set the text to red, then change it the size to be 1pt and white.
2a. In the footnote text, insert a unique marker (sequential numbering or something).
2b. Create a character format and call it something like TblSupScrpt: the format will be superscripted, with all else "As is".
2c. Create a cross reference format that displays the footnote number only, and uses the TblSupScrpt format (like this <TablSupScrpt><$paranumonly>).
2c. Then for the superscripted number to appear in the table, insert a cross reference to the marker in the footnote. The number will appear superscripted, and will be the number of the footnote.

Since these are cross references, you will need to run the update to see any changes are effected.

Alan

--
AlphaByte
PO Box 1941, Auckland