Better Way to Apply Master Pages?

Karen Robbins karendesign at gmail.com
Fri May 25 10:59:44 PDT 2012

Richard Combs wrote:

>The quick and efficient way is to use FM's default Right and Left
>master pages (for two-sided docs), which are automatically applied
>to right and left pages that you don't assign a custom master page
>to.

Yes, customizing the default Right master page would help, but only
partly. It would have the same effect as applying any custom master
page to some group of body pages in the Master Page Usage dialog. I'd
still be left with hundreds of body pages to which I would have to
apply a custom master page manually. This is a single-sided document,
no facing pages.

>What I think of as running heads are normally implemented via the
>Running H/F system

Yes, my automatic running heads are generated by the Running H/F system.

I did try making a book with only this file in it, but the Master
Page Maps reference page didn't work--at least not as I expect.

I have thought about trying to write a set of running head variables
that work out to "if you find this heading use it, but if you find
this other heading use it instead" but that makes my head spin and I
don't know how to go about that or if it would even work (there may
be two tagged headings on a single page but I would want only one to
appear in the running head).

Thanks,
Karen