Zapfdingbats font replacement issue

Robert Lauriston robert at lauriston.com
Tue Nov 13 14:38:30 PST 2012

FM10, working with documents I inherited in which Zapf Dingbats was
used for bullets. Opening one of those documents gives the message,
"The 'Zapfdingbats' Font is not available. It will be replaced by
'AdobePiStd'." Bullets appear as question marks.

ZapfDingbats BT is installed and appears in the FM font menus. If I
change the Bullet character tag from Adobe Pi Std to ZapfDingbats BT,
the bullets look right.

The conversion is set in maker.ini as follows:

Zapfdingbats, *,*= Adobe Pi Std,*,*

I tried deleting that line, had no effect. I tried replacing it with
the following, had no effect:

Zapfdingbats, *,*= ZapfDingbats BT,*,*

Is there some system-level way to fix this? It would be annoying to
have to update the style in every document.