How to generate an index of names without markers (or by automated insertion of markers)

MamaRed Knight jerilynne.knight at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 05:41:57 PST 2012

I agree that IXGen would be a great solution and it still needs something
to go on to insert the marker...even a character tag. If you don't have a
way to identify the content uniquely from text surrounding it, I'm not sure
how you can find the names without some sort of search and tag operation.
And is this document subject to changes? If so, those page numbers *could*
change too. Your client is right that it can be done AND it isn't a 5
second, snap your fingers and done situation. If it wasn't specced in the
original agreement, that would be something I would handle as a change
order with a signed approval1

If I think of something else today I'll let you know and am sending you
lots of positive thoughts!
Jerilynne

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Björn Mattsson <bjorn_m at bredband.net>wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I have received a request from a client, late in a huge book project, to
> generate an index with all of the names of people that are mentioned in the
> book. We have been supplied with a list of names and the client thinks that
> we can just "press a button" to compile the index. This is not the case of
> course, but the client insists that it should be done.
>
> What I am looking for is a way to locate a name in the document, find out
> the page number and then create an index looking like this:
>
> Adams, Douglas 42
> Bradbury, Ray 451
> Dumas, Alexandre 20, 45
>
> etc.
>
> I am fairly experienced Framemaker user but I can not come up with a way of
> doing this without inserting (Author) markers for every instance where one
> of the listed names occur in the text. This would be hundreds of places,
> and
> we would have to view each page manually.
>
> I have tried my best to come up with some (semi)automated way of achieving
> this but the only thing I can think of would be to save the document as mif
> and write some sort of script that parses the text file inserting marker
> elements where it finds any of the listed names. Probably time consuming,
> and highly unsafe or at least unpredictable.
>
> My question to all you experts is if there is any way to get this done
> using
> Framemaker itself, or a plug-in for Framemaker, or using any other tool you
> might think of.
>
> For this project we use Framemaker 7.2.
>
> Thanks for any input,
> Björn Mattsson
> Sweden

> or visit
> http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/jerilynne.knight%40gmail.com

may your day be igKnighted with passionately powerful possibilities!

<http://www.mylivesignature.com/>
MamaRed Knight
author of *Be Free: Release the Words Holding Your Dream Hostage* and

the soon-to-be released *Kindness Ripples™:  52 No-Cost Ways to Ripple
Kindness 'Round the World*