How to generate an index of names without markers (or by automated insertion of markers)

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 25 06:26:34 PST 2012

At 20:19 +0100 24/11/12, Björn Mattsson wrote:

>What I am looking for is a way to locate a name in the document, find out
>the page number and then create an index looking like this:
>
>Adams, Douglas 42
>Bradbury, Ray 451
>Dumas, Alexandre 20, 45

The way I've tackled this in the past is to use Author markers, but to automate their entry as far as possible using keystroke macro routines. I.e., an interactive, but assisted, process. Exactly how I do it won't be much use to you, as it's in FrameMaker 7 on a Mac using QuicKeys, but I expect the same idea can be applied in Windows.

I search for instances of two sequential capitalised words using wild cards, then, if they are names, use the macro to copy them to the marker dialog box and invert them, adding the comma. If the macro routine is triggered by a modified keystroke, the whole process is a one-finger 'poke' with the keystroke modifier key held down...

<control>-F
<control>-(macro)

so it's reasonably fast, but engages your brain in the process in determining what's proper name and what isn't.

I draw back from indexes created with concordances, as they usually contain too many entries to be useful.

Failing that, get Rick to run up a FrameScript script for you.

HTH
--
Steve [Trim e-mails: use less disk, use less power, use less planet]