Powerpoint to FrameMaker

Mon Nov 26 14:40:40 PST 2012

Pat Christenson wrote:

> I have material in Powerpoint (text and graphics) that need to be
> transferred to FrameMaker 9. I'm assuming this is a cut-and-paste
> procedure but if anyone has any tips, I'd appreciate hearing about
> them.
>
> I have PowerPoint for both Mac and Windows, if that helps any.

If you want to preserve the PPT layout, save the PPT file as a PDF and import each page of the PDF into an FM page.

If you want to reuse the text and graphics, but not as they appear in the PPT slides, you'll probably have to cut and paste. But you might experiment with saving the PPT file as HTML. If nothing else, that should give you the graphics as individual files, and that may be both more convenient and better quality than if you copy/paste them.

Heck, you might want to try saving the PPT as HTML, then opening that in Word, and then opening the Word doc in FM. <shrug /> Could be usable, could be a mess. If it's a mess, try importing the Word doc into FM as plain text, retagging it there, and using the graphics files from the HTML conversion.

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.