Confluence 4 export: the one feature that would justify my upgrading from FM10

Ben Allums allums at webworks.com
Thu Nov 29 12:35:39 PST 2012

On 11/21/2012 9:59 AM, Jim Owens wrote:
> It seems Confluence 3.x and earlier used Confluence Wiki Markup format
> for their pages. Beginning with 4.0, Atlassian  changed to the more
> expressive Confluence Storage Format. Unfortunately, for importing, they
> didn't add support for the new format. So:
>
> - If you produce pages in Confluence Storage Format (the modified
> XHTML), you can't import them to Confluence.
> - If you produce pages in Confluence Wiki Format and try to add them to
> Confluence 4.0 directly via API (as the sourceforge dita2wiki tool
> does), they will not be accepted because of the format change.

Actually, this can be done.  The API supports uploading of Wiki markup
to a 4.0 server.  That's how WebWorks ePublisher does it.  We use the
Confluence API with a deployment tool to upload the Confluence 3.x Wiki
markup files to the server.

In case you are wondering, we developed the Confluence deployment tool
as part of our original work to support the Confluence wiki.

Not sure about upload limits on the new storage format.  I'm not aware
that there are any limitations.  Though Atlassian (Sarah) has stated
people would like more documentation of the new storage format.

Ben Allums
Director of Engineering
allums at webworks.com