Framemaker 8 freezing with Win7, do Frame 8 patches apply to Win7?

Lise Bible rentagoodbook at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 13:34:26 PDT 2012

Fellow Framers, I am a longtime lurker, occasional poster. I've found this
list to be quite informative, so maybe you can help me out.

I'm using Frame 8.0p266 on a Windows 7 machine, 64-bit, 2.4GHz processor,
12GB of RAM.
I was running Frame 8 on my previous WinXP computer, with no issues, though
I do not recall if that one was patched; that computer has since been wiped
and given to a colleague, so there's no way to check.

But my Frame 8.0p266 has been doing the occasional freezing, i.e., it will
stop responding, and my only choice is to kill it, thereby losing work. I
think it happens when I'm selecting text, but I'm not entirely sure.

In doing some googling, I have discovered that there are existing patches
that are as-yet unapplied to my machine, per

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?platform=Windows&product=22

But when I choose Help>Updates, Adobe Updater informs me that "There are no
updates available at this time. Please note that some updates for the
following products cannot be determined at this time: Adobe Updater"
And this seems odd to me because obviously there are newer patches. Is this
because I'm on Windows 7?

The system requirements for the updates I do not have (8p273 and 8p277),
list: "Microsoft® Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Vista® (trial
version not supported on Windows 2000)," which specifically leaves out
Windows 7.

Now, is that because Win7 was not available when this patch was released,
or is it not compatible with Win7?

In general I understand being fully patched is a good idea, but I am
hesitant to try this if it's not happy with Win7.

Other potential fixes for my freezing include running as compatible with
WinXP SP3; but with the current security settings mandated by my corporate
overlords, I am unable to run Frame 8 as compatible with WinXP SP3 without
an administrator password, and that's not an option for me.
My helpful IT person did grant me full access to the FrameMaker8 sub-folder
on my hard drive, in case that was what was causing any issues (but I just
froze again, so evidently not).

So is patching my best hope? (Help me, Obi-Wan...)

Thanks,
Lise
--
*Save the earth.* It's the only planet with chocolate.