Acrobat X Pro settings

Dov Isaacs isaacs at adobe.com
Mon Sep 3 21:59:06 PDT 2012

Chris,

There is no simple configuration file for Acrobat that can be copied between systems or between releases of Acrobat on the same system.

Configuration settings and preferences for the most part are stored in various registry settings (Windows) and plists (MacOS) that are not documented for the public, can be very system specific, and are subject to change without any notice.

As far as I know, there are no configuration settings that control whether how a file that has "markups" (annotation comments?) will be saved.

When you are annotating a particular page of a PDF file, you are adding content to the page, albeit simply annotation content and Acrobat considers the annotated page as changed. If you simply save the document using Ctrl+S, the changed pages' contents are added to the existing PDF file on disk and the page table is modified to reflect the new copies of the changed pages. The "old" pages remain on disk although the page table doesn't point to them anymore. This method of saving the PDF file results in very fast updates and minimizes the chances of data loss when saving minimal changes to a large PDF file. However, the file size keeps on growing and noticeably so if your annotations are very simple or few, but the pages are very complex with large amounts of underlying content.

In lieu of save with Ctrl+S, if you use save as with Shift+Ctrl+S (not reduced sized or optimized options), the entire PDF will be rewritten and the old, obsolete versions of the pages you annotated will no longer occupy disk space. This should solve your problem.

(In other words, there was nothing in the configuration of your laptop versus desktop installations that caused the file size discrepancy, but either how you saved the PDF file on one system versus another or the original page sizes of the particular pages you annotated on one system versus another would cause the file size discrepancy.)

            - Dov

[cid:image001.png at 01CD8A1E.F9E83890]

Dov Isaacs
Principal Scientist
Adobe Systems Incorporated

+1 408.536.2896 (tel)
+1 408.242.5161 (cell)
isaacs at adobe.com<mailto:isaacs at adobe.com>

345 Park Avenue
San Jose, CA  95110-2704 USA
http://www.adobe.com<http://www.adobe.com/>

Feel free to print this e-mail
if your needs dictate hard copy.
There is no need to feel guilty about printing!
Paper is renewable and recyclable.