Diverse templates and Structure

Scott Prentice sp10 at leximation.com
Sat Sep 15 10:19:42 PDT 2012

Doris...

It's important to distinguish between structured Frame and XML. If the
source content is stored as XML, when you open those files in Frame, you
are authoring in the structured Frame UI. If the source is stored as
binary FM files, when you open those files in Frame you're still
authoring in the structured Frame UI. In both cases the authoring
experience is basically the same, that is, you're inserting elements and
setting attributes rather than applying paragraph and character styles.
However, with binary FM files, it is still possible to apply paragraph
and character styles and have them persist after closing and reopening
the file. With XML files, any style tags that are applied while
authoring are stripped off when the document is closed.

You say that one writer wants different conditions and paragraph styles.
Does that means different elements or just that those elements will have
a different appearance for that writer? If you're working in structure
(either binary or XML), you should be thinking about elements not
styles. Conditions are a different story, since you can apply conditions
in both types of files. You might consider using attributes for
filtering rather than applying conditions directly. When applying
conditions, it's possible to apply them over element boundaries, which
can cause all sorts of unintended problems. Using attributes ensures
that the filtering happens at the element level.

If this writer wants "styles" that don't exist in the other documents,
it's likely that this would require additional elements as well. This
sounds to me like it would add a significant amount of overhead since
that means maintaining multiple EDDs. I would develop an EDD that is a
superset of all the types of formatting that will be needed by all
groups .. those that don't want to use certain elements or styles would
just ignore those items. I'd do the same thing if it wasn't structured.

If this writer just wants things to have different formatting, but is OK
with using the same elements, that's not a big deal. You can have
multiple templates that apply different styles to the same underlying
structure. This doesn't affect the common data model that everyone is
using. You can all use the same EDD, but develop your own templates.
This concept applies equally to the use of binary FM files and XML.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

...scott

Scott Prentice