RESOLVED: Re: Help with unicode and question marks

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Tue Sep 18 11:27:18 PDT 2012

On 17/09/2012 8:01 PM, Wei JIANG [PT-CN] wrote:
> Hello Alison and Stuart,
>
> Myriad Pro IS a Unicode font. The thing is, that specific character, and
> many other characters in the same group, are not included in this font.
> You can verify this in Character Map.
>
> So, Unicode is a way to encode the characters in a font, but that font
> may not include all characters. Even if in the so-called "catch-all" font
> Arial Unicode MS, some characters are missing!
>
> Kindest,
> Wei Jiang
> English<>Chinese Translator and Multilingual DTPer based in Beijing, China

Thanks Wei Jiang,

But Christoph Korsmeier has the right answer.  In Windows 7, I can
"verify" in Character Map that Myriad Pro definitely has the glyph; it
appears in a group of glyphs that is also peppered with boxed-X's
indicating missing glyphs, leading one with "certainty" to the
conclusion that Myriad Pro includes the checkmark.  It's a lie.

In Windows XP, the Character Map shows the truth: the entire part of the
unicode range that Win7 claims to include that glyph (and a whole bunch
of other dingbat-style glyphs) is nothing but boxed-X's.  Evidently Win7
and Microsoft products like Word do a behind-the-scenes font
substitution, which FM does not recognize.  (According to forums,
neither does Photoshop, so perhaps it's Adobe-wide.)

I know how to work around this issue, but I've wasted a lot of time
uncovering Microsoft's malfeasance; I'm extremely annoyed!

Thanks to all,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator