FM 11 somewhat disappointing. Am I alone?

Roger Shuttleworth shuttie27 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 07:42:08 PDT 2012

Hi Rob

I love the XML features of FM11, which was the real reason why I bought
it for use at home. At work I have a subscription for TCS4. I've
experienced some problems too:

FM takes forever to print to PDF, whatever method I use. Book files that
used to print in less than 10 minutes in FM9 now take 90 minutes. That's
simply not acceptable. I have experienced few crashes; the most recent
was when comparing two documents (File > Utilities). FM just spun for
two hours, then quit without so much as a message box.

The other problem has been my Acrobat X Pro installation becoming
corrupted. Sometimes it just won't start, so I can't open a PDF at all.
Distiller disappears too. Then the Adobe PDF printer disappears, so I
can't create a PDF either. A few rounds of repair/reinstall later, it is
still unstable; I had to reinstall again today, and I expect it will
last a couple of days.

I'm hoping these issues will be addressed in a patch, but I'm not
holding my breath. Adobe seem to think that, so long as only a few
people have these problems, it's OK (they've got my money, after all).

Roger
London, Canada