Document revision control

Amy Super ASuper at confluence.com
Wed Sep 19 12:01:06 PDT 2012

Hi there,

Does anyone out there use a revision control system? We are in dire need
of it, as my company has recently gone up to 3 writers (from 1) and
we're afraid of overwriting work.

Our document repository is made up of standalone FM docs with linked
images, FM books with linked images, and a pile of giant old Word docs
that have both embedded and referenced images.

These are the solutions I know a little about:

*         Perforce - used at my last job, since that's what the
developers used. I think it has a bit of a steep learning curve for this
environment, though, given that I had to save my files out as .mif
before checking them in. I'm hoping for support of binary files instead.

*         SharePoint/TFS - we have it here. But our version of
SharePoint is too old for FrameMaker to integrate. That means I can't
access any linked files without checking them all out. Upgrading
SharePoint is not happening any time soon. I have also read a fair
number of unhappy stories on the Adobe forums about the FM/SP
combination.

*         Subversion - a friend recently installed this at his company,
and so far it looks promising. Does anyone use it?

*         Documentum - just had a terrible experience trying to get them
to respond to a live chat. I know it's an option for integrating FM.

Thoughts are greatly appreciated, as I found out today I need to have a
candidate list ready by Friday.

Thanks!

Amy