Is there a video demonstrating Word vs Framemaker?

Alison Craig Alison.Craig at ultrasonix.com
Mon Sep 24 10:40:47 PDT 2012

After reading all the comments on this thread, I have to comment.

First, there is no question that after using Word for more than a decade to produce manuals, I prefer Frame, which I´ve been using for the last 3 years.

However, if your employer says he can´t afford Frame, or is one of those employers who thinks it´s always cheaper to use the tools you already have – and you´re not trying to Single Source – then Word can be reasonably effective (albeit finicky and arbitrary).

And contrary to all the posts here, cross-references do come through in the PDF and TOC links are automatic as well – I have a whole suite of manuals in our Quality System´s History repository to prove this. I also have numerous hours/days of experience dealing with renumbering lists to prove that Word can also be a big fat pain in the behind.

If you´re already using Frame and your employer wants to regress, or your using Word and you need to progress, then follow that script from Scriptorium and prove your case. If the audience you have to sell isn’t both Frame and Word proficient, you´ll have to hold their hands through a demonstration. As Scriptorium says, words just aren´t effective. If they can see the productivity gains (add in a single sourcing demo, if applicable), they´ll be convinced.

Alison

Alison Craig
Technical Documentation Lead

604-279-8550 | fax 604-279-8559 | toll-free 1-866-437-9508
Ultrasonix Medical Corporation | www.ultrasonix.com<http://www.ultrasonix.com/>