More bad news on TCS4: no longer includes Photoshop

David Creamer IDEASlists at IDEAStraining.com
Wed Sep 26 10:56:18 PDT 2012

I think TSC4 should have INCLUDED Illustrator, not replaced Photoshop--but
then, Adobe didn't ask me...

In my experience, more users will benefit more from AI, than PS.
Screen captures are mostly processed in SnagIt or similar program, making PS
overkill for those images.
For image editing, Photoshop Elements is surprisingly full-featured compared
with its cost.
Most users are fine with RGB images (an RGB PDF can be converted to CMYK in
Acrobat Pro if necessary).
Luckily, TCS3 users can leave PS installed.

As far as bugs go, Suites are a marketing tool and are released on a
pre-determined schedule.
If one program is holding up the Suite, then the software is often released
with known bugs or features are left out until the next upgrade.
Just a fact of life for software users, especially Adobe's.
However, bug fixes eventually do happen--obviously, not as fast for someone
stung by a bug, but they do happen.
Another unfortunate fact of life is that when a new version comes out
(expect TCS4.5 if the rumored Acrobat 11 comes out), bug fixes often stop
for older versions of the software.
So if Frame 11.5 comes out, I wouldn't expect too many major updates for 11.

I like Suites for the cost savings, but dislike them for the "get it out the
door even if it's not ready" approach.

New Frame versions always take a while to pick up steam. Many government
agencies are still using Frame 7.

David Creamer
IDEAS Training
http://www.ideastraining.com
Adobe Authorized Instructor & Certified Expert since 1995
Authorized Frame Consultant since 1991

****************

I must add that I have found another disadvantage to buying TCS4, especially
if you are a first-time buyer.
TCS4 does not include Photoshop, whereas TCS2 does, or did.
I must confess that I find it odd that Adobe and not a single reviewer has
mentioned this.
If you are a student, it would be better to buy TCS2, even though Adobe has
stopped support for this product.
To sum up.
Framemaker 11 has been upgraded for structured documentation not
unstructured.
1. One cannot print a book in unstructured FM11.
2. Forget about online support.
3. Do without Photoshop.
4. Forget about timely patches
As a user of many programs over the years, what I see here is a drastic
cutting down of FrameMaker Perhaps the FrameMaker accountants are fighting
with the programmers and engineers. Less is more.
I believe that FM is a great product, but the writing is on the wall.
The view from Norton: Few users: slightly unstable.