Response from Adobe - Print to .PS issue - Cause and solution

Kapil Verma kverma at adobe.com
Wed Sep 26 22:18:31 PDT 2012

Hello everyone,

I am from Adobe and wanted to give you some information about the "Print to .PS" issue that has been reported in the forums recently. We have looked into this issue and found the cause. Today, we wanted to share it with you all along with a workaround solution in the interim. Furthermore, we are working on fixing this issue and expect to come out with a fix soon.

What causes the issue
This issue occurs when a user who is running FrameMaker11 in unstructured mode and tries to print a book, which was also created in the unstructured mode. This issue is not present when printing a Framemaker document, or when FrameMaker is running in structured mode.

Workaround
The workaround is to switch to structured mode (you can do so by going to Edit > Preferences > General and use the Product Interface dropdown to select "Structured FrameMaker") and restart FrameMaker. This would be a one-time action and afterwards, FrameMaker will launch in Structured mode and you won't face this issue.

This being said, we do however realize that many of you are working in the unstructured mode and wouldn't like to see the additional structured menus and toolbars. To address this, we are providing a set of workspace, menu and toolbar files (attached with this message). With these files, a new workspace will be created in your FrameMaker structured mode and this workspace will only have the unstructured menus and toolbars. So, you can continue to work in a familiar environment with only the unstructured features that you are used to seeing. Please download the attached files and follow the steps below to copy these files in the relevant folders.

Steps to create the new "Unstructured" workspace when running in the Structured mode

 1.  Copy Unstructured.fws in %appdata%\Adobe\FrameMaker\11\WorkSpaces\Structured' folder
 2.  Copy menus-unstr.cfg in %appdata%\Adobe\FrameMaker\11\WorkSpaces\Structured\menus' folder
 3.  Copy fmtoolbar-unstr.xml in %appdata%\Adobe\FrameMaker\11\WorkSpaces\Structured\toolbars' folder
 4.  Launch FM in structured mode and switch to the 'unstructured' workspace.
* Note: this would not remove DITA and S1000D menus. If you want to remove those menus as well, please write to me separately and I will be happy to send you those instructions.

Hope that this workaround works as a solution in the short term, while we work hard on fixing this issue for you. We hope to come out with a fix soon to this problem.

Thanks,

Kapil Verma
Sr. Product Manager - FrameMaker | FrameMaker Publishing Server
O: +91-120-2444711 x 34505

http://blogs.adobe.com/techcomm/category/framemaker
http://twitter.com/KapilVermaAdobe<http://twitter.com/#!/KapilVermaAdobe>
http://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker/