Need ideas - Moving large files from one folder to another without breaking links

Wei JIANG [PT-CN] jiangw at polytrans.com.cn
Fri Sep 28 17:48:05 PDT 2012

Dear Salome,

If you know how to write regular expressions, or know someone who does
and is available to help you, I guess my experience may be helpful:

I work remotely  for a major molding machine manufacturer in Europe - I
translate and typeset their manuals into Chinese in FrameMaker.  And I
also head a team which handles Japanese and Korean.

My contact sends in her files in a zip package of fm/book files. The
thing is, from time to time, or rather, almost every time, the fm files
in the book file  are grabbed from different folders on their systems,
and when I open/update the files, the warnings about broken cross-ref's
and missing images are overwhelming.  I used to correct all these
manually, and it was hell to me! Now we have an in-house tool to
manipulate the re-saved MIF files. The tool searches the content of each
MIF file by using regular expressions and comes up with a list of linked
images and cross-ref's, and then tries to locate them on the hard disk.
If any files cannot be found, then you can specify a base folder for the
tool to search. After all the files are found, then you can instruct the
tool to modify the MIF accordingly.

In your case, you do not really need to write any code. You may just use
a regular expression developing tool to complete all the above steps,
for example, RegexBuddy.  This tool is very sophisticated, and it even
has a GREP function, which enables you to search and modify all files in
a folder (and all its subfolders!).

Just for your reference, the regular expression for looking for a
cross-ref'ed fm that is located in another folder is:

And you replace this with "$1$2", and the cross-ref'ed fm will be the
one in the current folder.

I'm sure you can fairly easily come up with a regular expression to
correct the image linkage info.

Hope the above is helpful to you.

Kindest,
Wei JIANG