FDK documentation links (Subj was "April 11th Webinar: FrameMaker 11...."

Rick Quatro rick at rickquatro.com
Wed Apr 10 05:29:02 PDT 2013

Hi Max,

Unless this documentation has been updated, these links will do Russ and others no good. We have been through the documentation with a fine-tooth comb, but the information is not in there. Yesterday I requested help on using the Alt key in keyboard shortcuts in ExtendScript. An Adobe engineer replied with a link to the FrameMaker 10 Scripting Guide. The information is not in the Scripting Guide, which is why I posted the question in the first place. I am surprised that the engineer did not know that the information is not in there.

Russ and I are long-time FrameMaker power users and programmers that read, search, and study any existing documentation before we ask questions. At the risk of sounding "thin-skinned", I find it frustrating and a bit condescending to receive links to documentation that we already know about. Russ's problem was clearly stated: "The FDK documentation says you can do it, but doesn't say how." So, he wants to know how.

I can't speak for Russ, but I would prefer more straightforward answers; for example,

"It can be done, but it is not documented. Here is a brief outline on how to do it."

"It can be done, but we are busy and don't have time to document it. Hopefully, we can document it in the near future."

"It can be done, but it is not officially documented. However, here is a copy of an internal memo explaining how it is done."

"We are too busy to help you, but we helped so-and-so with a similar problem. Maybe he can help you."

I am sorry for the negative tone, but I have spent the last day or two "apologizing" to a large potential FrameMaker customer for its shoddy documentation. I am ready to suggest that he take a look at InDesign.

Rick

Rick Quatro

Carmen Publishing Inc.

585-283-5045