FDK documentation links (Subj was "April 11th Webinar: FrameMaker 11...."

russ at weststreetconsulting.com russ at weststreetconsulting.com
Wed Apr 10 10:33:54 PDT 2013

Hi Maxwell,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I do have these documents and
unfortunately the content is insufficient. However... before I whined
one last time, I did some more experimentation and I think I finally
figured it out. If it is of any interest to your technical publications
team, I've put a summary of the problem and my recommendations below.
Again, thanks for your time.

Russ

RE: Adding a custom dialog box to a workspace

It took me a long time to figure this out because I think that the FDK
documentation is missing some details. Here is what it says now:

"Because FrameMaker provides support for workspaces, the client's
modeless dialogs can become a part of a workspace. To make this work,
the client has to handle the notification FA_Note_Dialog_Create, which
is sent to the client when the workspace has to launch the modeless
dialog for a particular client."

I guess the answer is in there, but there was not enough clarification
for me to figure it out initially. I finally figured out that when you
save a workspace with the dialog open, the notification then happens
automatically once you select or reset that workspace in the future.
Also, there is the fact that "sparm" is set to the name of the dialog,
which you need to test in order to know how to respond. So, I would
recommend adding some verbiage similar to the following:

When a workspace is saved with a custom modeless dialog open, the name
and positioning of that dialog are stored with the workspace. Then, when
the user selects or resets the workspace, FrameMaker sends the
FA_Note_Dialog_Create to the respective client with sparm set to the
name of the dialog box. It is then the responsibility of the client to
handle this notification and execute the required code to open the
dialog box again. Once the dialog box is open and the client code exits,
the workspace configuration routine will continue and automatically
position the dialog box as stored in the workspace.

Note the following:

- FA_Note_Dialog_Create is only sent when the workspace includes a
custom dialog that was open when the workspace was saved. If multiple
custom dialogs were open, individual notifications are sent for each.

- The client notification code must reopen the dialog itself
(F_ApiOpenResource(), etc.), then the workspace will position it.

- Like all notifications, FA_Note_Dialog_Create must be enabled with
F_ApiNotification().

Message: 17