TOC of document names in a book

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Wed Apr 24 09:27:27 PDT 2013

On 2013-Apr-24 2:24 AM, Rod Fee wrote:
> Hi team,
>
> So I have a whole lot of documents in one book.
>
> I want to insert a table of contents (Add/Table of Contents)
>
> I want that TOC to include the file names of the various documents in their
> order and with their page numbers that they start on.
>
> The options for what to include in the TOC do not seem to include the file
> names of the documents themselves.
>
> Any way of doing this and including their page number automatically or is it
> something I will have to manually produce and update?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Rod Fee

As you've noticed, TOC generation allows you to select paragraphs with
specific tags for inclusion.  If you put your file name (best to use the
system variable) in a uniquely tagged paragraph, you can select that pgf
tag for inclusion in the TOC.

I'm not sure why you would want to do this; normally the chapter title
is the most meaningful entry in a TOC. If you make your chapter titles
the same as your file names (or vice versa), the problem goes away.  If
you must use a file name that differs from the chapter title but don't
want it to appear on the page, you'll have to fudge it by putting the
file name variable into a uniquely tagged pgf on the first page of the
file, with characteristics that make it invisible (e.g., 2 pt font,
colour white, or some other colour that you then designate as Don't
Print in the color definition).  I'm not sure what the implications are
for PDF generation in the latter case; in the former (colour white), the
text will become visible if it is selected in the PDF (reverse highlighted).

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator