Book Suggestion - Fonts

Syed Zaeem Hosain (Syed.Hosain@aeris.net) Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Fri Apr 26 15:16:37 PDT 2013

Clint Owen said:

?  I mostly read e-books these days, so I checked the King County (Washington) library website and found that they only have the audiobook version! Very odd, considering the subject matter.

Alison Craig said:

?  As this is a very visual book, Audio is certainly an odd format.

Agreed! I went ahead and bought it yesterday after I saw your e-mail ... the Kindle version is very readable on my Kindle Fire and I don't miss the printed one. Not sure how good it would look on the paper-white Kindle's, but it should be okay.

A fun read so far (I am about half-way through it), and I cannot see (pun intended) how an audio version could possibly work. The visual font examples are vital to the book.

By the way, in a different way (not as much fun perhaps :)), the book "Thinking with Type" by Ellen Lupton (http://www.amazon.com/Thinking-Type-2nd-revised-expanded/dp/1568989695), is also a worthwhile read on a similar topic. Not available as a Kindle edition though.

BTW, I have a printed version of this book: http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Type-Library-Reference-Edition/dp/0321821254 on my shelf as of a few weeks ago. After my experience with Helvetica vs. Arial differences last year (based on excellent observations from people here!), I decided I wanted to learn more about fonts ... :)