{ANN:} Webinar 29Apr 2:00 PDT ""HYPERWRITE Sess 2) The importance of metadata""

Maxwell Hoffmann mhoffman at adobe.com
Fri Apr 26 15:55:55 PDT 2013

Monday April 29, 2PM PDT AdobeTCS webinar: "HYPERWRITE Sess 2) The importance of metadata"

Register at:    http://adobe.ly/12tRTgx

Partly due to the advent of XML, many parts of the documentation process can now be automated. And one of the keys to accurate "processing" and "transforming" of text is metadata. Metadata is data about data. Information that describes or classifies information. Even if we've never used the term "metadata" before, we've actually know it well. An index is metadata. It helps describes the information, but it is not part of the core information itself. When we look deeper, we find metadata in document styling, in semantic mark-up, in SEO, in translation, in content management systems, and even in file names. By improving our knowledge and application of metadata, we can raise the quality of our documents.

About the Presenter: Based in Melbourne, Australia, Dr Tony Self (@hyperwrite) has over 30 years of experience as a technical communicator. For over 20 years, Tony has worked in the areas of online help systems, computer-based training, and XML documents. In 1993, he founded HyperWrite, a company providing training and consultancy in structured authoring, Help systems, DITA, and technology strategy. Tony completed his PhD in semantic mark-up languages in 2011, and his book The DITA Style Guide was published in the same year. He is a member of the OASIS DITA Technical Committee (and chair of the DITA Help Subcommittee), is an adjunct teaching fellow at Swinburne University, and is the Director of Training for TCTrainNet, a training initiative of tekom, the German professional association for technical communicators.

Maxwell Hoffmann |  Product  Evangelist  |  Adobe  |  p. 503.336.5952  |  c. 503.805.3719  |  mhoffman at adobe.com<mailto:mhoffman at adobe.com>
http://twitter.com/maxwellhoffmann -  http://www.linkedin.com/in/maxwellhoffmann  blogs.adobe.com/techcomm
Upcoming webinars http://adobe.ly/Pbz6xI    Recorded webinars: http://adobe.ly/Pbdp0J