An interesting Mif2Go project - will this work?

John Sgammato john.sgammato at actifio.com
Sat Aug 3 17:47:19 PDT 2013

Here are some answers, inline;

On Saturday, August 3, 2013, Jeremy H. Griffith wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 08:57:56 -0400, John Sgammato <
> john.sgammato at actifio.com <javascript:;>> wrote:
>
> >I am using FM11 unstructured with Mif2Go to populate a SalesForce
> >Knowledge knowledgebase. SalesForce Knowledge is a relatively new
> >offering from SaleForce, much better than their older knowledgebase
> >product. Ultimately this will involve hundreds of individual topics so
> >I want to automate as much of it as I can.
> >I have talked to Rick Quatro about this, but there are some other bits
> >where I'd appreciate some ideas.
> >
> >To populate the knowledge base:
> >1. I must generate individual HTML files from the FM content and store
> >them in a single folder.
>
> That's the default result.
>
> >2. The SalesForce importer reads a .csv file to get location and other
> >info about the content.
> >
> >The .CSV file looks like this:
> >isMasterLanguage,Title.File,datacategorygroup.Products,Channels,Language
> >1,Forcing Expiry of a Backup Image,/articles/en_US/doc/ab1101973.htm
> >PAS_51,sites,en_US
> >1,Restoring Selected
> Files,/articles/en_US/doc/ab1101043.htm,PAS_51,sites,en_US
>
> Are the first, fourth, fifth, and sixth columns the same
> for all files, or do they vary too?  If they vary, is there
> a rule that describes what they need to be, for your project?

1,4,5,&6 are the same for all files

> >For this release, I need only the procedures; conceptual information
> >can come in the future. (I have it, but I do not want to use it in the
> >knowledge base until I do some more development work on it.)
> >
> >After I generate all the HTML files, I somehow need to get a list of
> >the filenames for the third column of the .csv, and I'd love a way to
> >get the Title of the topic into the second column.
>
> We can probably write a CSV file with that info for each
> Frame chapter, then just concatenate them for the full book.
>
> >My plan is to go through the 6 books that will get this treatment and
> >apply a new marker to all of the topics that I want for the knowledge
> >base.
>
> Please don't.  Not only is it a large effort, it is not
> necessary from your description above.  The guaranteed
> unique filenames we create will work.  Yours would be
> absolutely guaranteed **not** to be unique,  There is
> a reason we warn against this.

OK - markers are out

> >I know how to set the HTML file title = that marker, but I am afraid
> >that in the end I will have many surplus files, and they will all have
> >autogenerated filenames like ab1101973.htm.
>
> Even worse.
>
> >Is there a way to automatically set the output *filenames* to match
> >the titles? I understand it's a Bad Idea in case I have multiple files
> >with the same title, but I will be doing enough post-processing to
> >catch and fix that.
>
> There actually is; we undocumented it for a while
> because of the large number of disasters reported
> to us.  There is *no way* to tell which files were
> clobbered by others until *your* users complain
> about the links going to the wrong places...
>
> >Is there a way to  get only the topics I want and ignore the other
> >content?
>
> How would you identify it?  (Hint: **not** markers.)

Suppose I create two new para formats, procedure looks like Heading2 and
procedure-end is 1pt with nothing in them. Then Mif2go would know the start
and end of each procedure?
Xxxxx End of new comments xxxxx

> >I can start a new topic at every H1 and H2, and I can title
> >the ones I want from the markers, but in the end I will have a bunch
> >of files with near-identical filenames, right? Maybe I can send the
> >topics with the markers into a different folder?
>
> No, that won't work.  The right answer depends on
> your answer to the question above.
>
> >I have some time to work on this, but not a lot - a major release will
> >be upon me next week.
>
> Plenty of time, LOL!
>
> >I have a henchman in India who can help with the FM work, but he
> >doesn't know Mif2Go yet.
>
> This may not be the best time for him to learn.  ;-)
>
> >I appreciate any thoughts to set up a good, solid, reproducible
> >process for this.
>
> A few answers, please, and we can probably provide one.  <g>
>
> -- Jeremy H. Griffith, at Omni Systems Inc.
>   <jeremy at omsys.com <javascript:;>>    http://mif2go.com/
> or visit
> http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/john.sgammato%40actifio.com
>
> Send administrative questions to listadmin at frameusers.com <javascript:;>.
> Visit

*John Sgammato  *

Documentation Architect

*e* john.sgammato at actifio.com

*w* +1-(508) 927-2083

    *Recover anything instantly for up to 90% less than you're paying now.*