Windows 7 + FrameMaker 11 = BOOM!

Ken Poshedly poshedly at bellsouth.net
Thu Aug 8 08:54:01 PDT 2013

Due to the addition of 2 new contract writers and the replacement of the hard drive in an existing terminal in my department, we're now stuck with Windows 7 and
FrameMaker 11 on those three platforms for the past month or so.

And
 it's been nothing but problems ever since, with unpredictable crashes on the desktop computers used by the two contract writers, even though all three
FM 11 platforms have all the Adobe patches.

One thing which does seem consistent is that FM11 does not seem to work well with files located on our network server, yet that is really the method here. Symptoms may include _extremely_ long times to open, save and close files and MAY include the abovementioned FrameMaker crashes, though we have not yet confirmed that.

The "fix" is for the contract writers to copy files from our 4-terrabyte network drive onto external hard drives cabled to their terminals and for my coworker to copy files directly onto his computer's internal hard drive; then copy the revised file back into place in its location on the network drive.

The two contract writer desktop computers have ridiculously internal small hard drives. (One is 29 megabytes and the other is 185 megabytes I've been told.)

Me? I'm happy as a
clam with Windows XP and FrameMaker 8 working across the network with no FM crashes or other problems -- though I do have to suffer through the long times to open, save and close files because we now must embed all our graphics instead of referencing them. (I've boohoo'd about that here in the past, so I'll not repeat the faulty reasoning for it once again.)

But doom is in my
future, as all four of us are soon to get new platforms with Windows 7
and FM 11.

This I really dread.

Who else out there is having what seems to be incompatibility problems with platforms equipped with FM 11 and Windows 7 and how have you gotten around those problems?

Off-list accounts, etc, are fine.

-- Ken in Atlanta