Windows 7 + FrameMaker 11 = BOOM!

Davis, David David.Davis at invensys.com
Mon Aug 12 01:26:41 PDT 2013

I'd second the advice that anti-virus software is something to look for as a culprit for these crashes!  (I must say that, in corporate network environments, I've had orders of magnitude greater losses in productivity from damned anti-virus software than from ever getting an actual virus :)

Windows 7 is a very robust, stable, well-respected operating system... assuming you have it fully patched and up-to-date from Windows Update, I wouldn't expect it to be the problem here.

As for RAM - well, 8 gigabytes is a helluva lot!  And surely, FrameMaker is only a 32 bit program? So it cannot address more than a couple of GB at a time - throwing more RAM at it is not going to make any difference.
You can use Windows 7's own Control Panel tools (even just the Performance tab in Task Manager) to see how much RAM you're actually using, which will give you a better clue as to whether that is an issue on your machines.

Be sure and send all your crash logs to fm.error at adobe.com - they do read them!

Another suggestion is to pester your IT people to check that things like the drivers for the network cards on your PCs are up to date - corporate IT environments generally tend not to bother with updates like those, but manufacturers do issue a lot of driver updates and these can  have bug fixes and performance enhancements, and they can make a difference when you're opening massive FM files across a network...

Good luck! :)

David

*** Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including any associated or attached files, is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This e-mail is confidential and may well also be legally privileged. If you have received it in error, you are on notice of its status. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from your system. Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or disclose its contents to any other person. This email comes from a division of the Invensys Group, owned by Invensys plc, which is a company registered in England and Wales with its registered office at 3rd Floor, 40 Grosvenor Place, London, SW1X 7AW (Registered number 166023). For a list of European legal entities within the Invensys Group, please select the Legal Entities link at invensys.com.

You may contact Invensys plc on +44 (0)20 3155 1200 or e-mail reception at invensys.com. This e-mail and any attachments thereto may be subject to the terms of any agreements between Invensys (and/or its subsidiaries and affiliates) and the recipient (and/or its subsidiaries and affiliates).