Windows 7 + FrameMaker 11 = BOOM!

Harro de Jong Harro.deJong at triviewgroup.com
Wed Aug 14 00:07:02 PDT 2013

Craig Ede wrote:

> Framemaker can take quite a while to do some things, so it's important to know
> the difference between a crash and a "FrameMaker is not responding"
> message. The latter means "Wait until I complete this task." The former is
> accompanied by a crash message and exiting from FrameMaker. Very seldom
> do I see crashes that don't have the crash window message (which contains the
> opportunity of send the logs to Adobe for analysis to improve the product).

This is a good point. Windows 7 is much quicker than older Windows versions to stick the label "Not responding" on an application when that application stops updating the UI (because it's busy with something else).
In older versions, when the "Not responding" label appeared, you generally knew your application had crashed. In Windows 7, this isn't true anymore.

Harro de Jong
Triview