Disappearing Palette Items

Mike Wickham info at mikewickham.com
Thu Aug 29 09:11:01 PDT 2013

 > Reading the manual might help here.

Good advice, but there hasn't been a FrameMaker manual since FM7. :) And
online help often requires the use of specific search terms to find
obscure information. Online help needs lots of work.

There is a really good video on using the new (as of FM9) interface.
It's really helpful in learning about docking palettes, setting up
workspaces, etc.. I didn't like the new interface until I saw this
video. Now, I wouldn't go back. Here's the link:
http://tv.adobe.com/watch/tips-and-tricks-for-technical-communicators-to-maximize-productivity/getting-started-with-the-new-framemaker-9-user-interface/

Some of the settings in File> Preferences> Interface can also affect the
behavior of palettes. I haven't followed this thread closely, but it
might be worth looking at the settings there. It might be helpful to
check out message #35 in the following thread, where I show an example
of the workspace I use and the settings to get it:
http://forums.adobe.com/message/4039348

Regarding not being able to make the Object Properties dialog dock, it
might depend on which one you mean. If you right-click on a selected
text frame and choose Object Properties, a standalone "Customize Text
Frame" dialog opens, but disappears when you click Set or Cancel. If you
right-click on graphic objects, the Object Properties dialog opens and
it is dockable (see example in my workspace mentioned above).

Mike Wickham