Color in PDFs made from FM6

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 20 06:14:39 PST 2013

To retain color, you must use a color printer driver. If you use a driver for a monochrome printer, there will be no color information in the PostScript code produced by the driver. The driver for the Adobe PDF virtual printer (which has had its specific name changed many times in different versions of FrameMaker and Acrobat) supports color, so it is the driver of choice.

To retain hyperlinks and other interactive features, FrameMaker must know that its output will be used to produce a PDF.  By default, FrameMaker does not include the code for "named locations" or links to those locations in the PostScript that is generated for physical printers, because those concepts have no relevance to physically printed documents. The key, though, is the "Generate Acrobat Data" option in Frame's Print dialog. In this context "Acrobat data" specifically includes named destinations, hyperlinks, "go to URL" commands, and all the document metadata that gets displayed in the Properties sheet of the final PDF.

So for color and hyperlinks there are two things you need to do:
1) Select the Adobe PDF printer driver (or whatever its specific name is with your particualr software versions)
2) Make sure the "Generate Acrobat Data" option in the Print dialog is selected.

-Fred Ridder