Pagination FM 11

David Artman david at davidartman.com
Fri Feb 1 07:56:08 PST 2013

I set Adobe PDF as my default system printer, as I generate PDFs far
more often than I print to dead trees. Try that, maybe?

Also, be sure to uncheck "Remember missing font names" in the FM
Preferences, and you should be able to "strip" all legacy font info from
your files as you open them and save them in the course of normal
revision and production.

Lastly... this should be a sign to reassess your template design(s), to
look into using typefaces that aren't muddled in the mess of Type 1 ->
PS -> TTF -> OT (i.e., not "Times" and "Helv" and "Courier"). All those
old, canonical typefaces are basically a tarbaby, these days (not to
mention aesthetically bereft, but that's another story!). Why even wade
in those waters, if your output is primarily PDF, in which you can embed
fonts? (Sadly, there's still good cause to stick with "web fonts" if you
do a lot of online deliverables.) Why not find a lovely typeface to make
your company's own and bring a little life into your pubs? :)

That said, if you begin with ANY of Adobe's templates, be prepared to
MIF-and-strip (to kill Adobe's stubborn use of ill-distinguished
typefaces!). Even with the "blank" template, you'd do well to begin by
MIFing it, opening in a programmer's text editor, and stripping out all
the Catalogs (FM will put back the built-in Color Defs and Variables
automatically, but you'll have NO table, para, char, etc styles).

And even THEN, you will  probably have to open it, let font substitution
happen, and save the substitution--Reference page junk, most likely!

Bon chance...
David