Read-Write rules for table cell rotation

Roger Shuttleworth shuttie27 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 08:20:47 PST 2013

Hello All

FM 11.0.1 structured, using DITA 1.2.

I'm hoping some read-write rules guru will be able point me in the right
direction...

We have some tables in which occasional cell contents are rotated. To do
this manually, we select the text and go to the Graphics menu. But since
we are using DITA XML, I'd like to save the rotation property to the XML
and have FM apply it again when the XML file is reopened. Clearly a job
for read-write rules.

So after a thorough study of the Structured Application Developer's
Guide and the corresponding Reference, as well as the FM11 help, etc., I
have attempted with the following:

element "entry" {
     is fm table cell element;
     attribute "outputclass" {
         is fm property rotate;
         value "rotate" is fm value "270";
         }
     }

When I set @outputclass to "rotate" and save as XML, the attribute value
is not written. If I edit the XML in a text editor and then open in FM,
the @outputclass is set to "no value". So clearly nothing is happening
using @outputclass and/or my rule.

The Developer Reference gives tantalizing information such as
"FrameMaker extends the possible values to allow rotations of 0, 90,
80, and 270 degrees." I've tried a whole lot of alternative rules and
values, but nothing seems to do anything (except generate an error, that
is).

Do I need to use or define a different attribute than @outputclass? Or
is there some other secret syntax that eludes me? Or does it just not work?

Thanks for your help..

Roger Shuttleworth
London, Canada