OT: HTML Help Related Topics control and character encoding

Jeremy H. Griffith jeremy at omsys.com
Wed Feb 13 09:10:24 PST 2013

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 11:32:23 -0500, Jim Owens <jowens at magma.ca> wrote:

>Hi, Jeremy.  I'm using SBAppLocale to compile (as recommended in the
>Mif2Go Guide!), and Search is working OK in Arabic. In fact, the Arabic
>is OK everywhere in the output --
>
>The pages are all encoded with windows-1256.

You're right on top of it, then.  ;-)

>except for the Related Topics button
>text, and the link text in the Related Topics "Topics Found" dialog box.
>
>Setting aside the compilation, if I just open an HTML page in a browser,
>everything is in Arabic, except the text on the Related Topics button
>(which is in something like Cyrillic) and the text in the Related Topics
>dialog for the button (which is all question marks unless I set the
>system locale to Arabic, in which case it's something like Cyrillic).

I wonder if there is a different version of the
ActiveX control for different code pages?  It
sounds like it's not using the same one as the
rest.

See if there is a <PARAM name="Font" ... >
in the instance of the control in your HTML.
MSDN has some very sketchy docs for it:
  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms644677%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
but one of the values is the character set.
They don't say what the syntax for that is,
but I'd try 1256, CP1256, and cp-1256 to start.

There are also advisories about a "security"
"upgrade" from MS that broke this control at:
  http://www.helpwaregroup.com/system/app/pages/customSearch?scope=search-ns&q=Related+Topics+ActiveX

HTH!

  <jeremy at omsys.com>    http://mif2go.com/