"FrameMaker has detected a problem and must quit" Really?!

Syed Zaeem Hosain (Syed.Hosain@aeris.net) Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Wed Feb 13 11:23:52 PST 2013

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 8:55 AM, Ken Poshedly <poshedly at bellsouth.net<mailto:poshedly at bellsouth.net>> wrote:
> I just learned from Adobe tech support (via phone call) that the permissions in
> FrameMaker 11.0 have been modified so that the data files should also be on the
> same hard drive where FM 11.0 is installed. Working across drives (FM here, data
> files there) is no longer an accepted practice -- at least not with FM11.

Seriously? I can understand network-based locations causing issues, but I have _never_ seen a problem where an executable (FrameMaker or otherwise!) is on one drive and the "data" files are on a separate drive _on the *same* system_.

In fact, I do this right now - my C drive is the usual location for all executables (FrameMaker, Office, compilers, etc.) and my E drive contains all my other files (including the books and files I work on).

And, I do not have any problems with this setup whatsoever. I am surprised that Adobe thinks that this would be a problem in any way! If really accurate, this would be a strange, and completely unacceptable, artificial constraint.