best web help add-on for FrameMaker 10?

Keith Soltys keith.soltys at tmx.com
Wed Feb 13 06:57:45 PST 2013

Well, it's designed for content reuse, so sharing common content across projects is easy. Since it's topic based, it's easy for more than one writer to work on a project. It also has some very nice reporting and tracking features.  If I was working on a large project, with multiple writers, and developing only for online output, I'd consider it.  (I would probably be using it now, at least for some projects, if we hadn't run into a showstopper issue with their WebHelp format and our application server).

I found that conversion from FM to Flare was much more time consuming than I expected. That was partly due to the learning curve, but even then, setting up a WWeP template is much easier and faster. I also found the writing environment not the easiest to work in. I wouldn't use it for anything that required PDF output.

WebWorks is much more customizable. MadCap doesn't expose the internal workings of the program the way - they give you very nice interfaces for customization, but if it can't be done through the interface, you're out of luck.

Regards
Keith

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY This e-mail, including all materials contained in or attached to this e-mail, contains proprietary and confidential information solely for the internal use of the intended recipient. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail or otherwise and ensure that it is permanently deleted from your systems, and do not print, copy, distribute or read its contents.

AVIS DE CONFIDENTIALITÉ Le présent courriel, y compris tous les documents qu'il contient ou qui y sont joints, renferme des renseignements exclusifs et confidentiels destinés uniquement à l'usage interne du destinataire prévu. Si vous avez reçu le présent courriel par erreur, veuillez nous aviser immédiatement, notamment par retour de courriel, et vous assurer qu'il est supprimé de façon permanente de vos systèmes; veuillez également vous abstenir d'imprimer, de copier, de distribuer ou de lire son contenu.